1. Cheese: Depending on the size of your party always provide 3-4 cheeses for your guests to assure that there is something that everyone will like. You’ll have your bases covered if you go with a smooth cheese (a goat or mozzarella), a buttery cheese (brie) and a hard cheese (manchego, gruyere or parmesan) . I know not everyone enjoys blue cheese, but I happen to love a crumbly cheese with a nice bite so I think it’s nice to throw a gorgonzola or stilton into the mix.
2. Carbs are obviously an essential so I typically go with some french bread toasted that I toast in the oven with some olive oil and an assortment of crackers.
3. Fruits like grapes, apples and dried apricots are perfect pairings for your cheese. I love a big chunk of brie spread on top of a green apple slice. Berries are also a great choice. Check out my blackberry brie crostinis here.
4. Nowadays you can’t go into a supermarket without seeing some sort of fig jam and it’s the perfect condiment for a cheese plate. A savory jam, like a roasted garlic and onion is also delicious.
5. I always put some sort of trail mix or assortment of nuts out in order to provide my guests with some protein and some crunch.