I’ve been a fan of the banh mi since I took my first bite of one at NYC’s Co Ba. I knew an upscaled hot dog would be the perfect dish for my doggie style party and the banh mi became my inspiration. I don’t necessarily consider myself a cook as much as I do an “assembler” who can put together tasty ingredients in a simple way and this recipe is the perfect example. Using Rachel Ray’s recipe as my base, I simplified it a bit and came up with this unique and oh so tasty banh mi dog.
What You’ll Need:
- Pork hot dogs
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
For the sriracha mayo:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons white rice vinegar
1. If you’d like to pickle your carrots, be sure to prep those ingredients at least one hour ahead of time. All you have to do is combine 1 cup hot water, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup rice vinegar and 1 tablespoon of sea salt in a mixing bowl. Pour over your shredded carrots and put in the fridge for at least an hour.
2. Whisk the sriracha mayo ingredients together in a small bowl.
3. Boil your hot dogs then cut in half and crisp them on a skillet.
4. Warm up you baguette and add your mayo, meat, veggies and top it all of with some delicious cilantro!